In this blog, I will go over the eligibility requirements for a Post Graduate Work Permit.
According to a recent survey, 51 % of international students in Canada intend to work in Canada after their studies and apply for Permanent Residence. For many of these students, this means gaining the proper skilled work experience in Canada. This is why most international students choose programs that qualify for a Post Graduate Work Permit.
To be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit, you must meet the following conditions:
- Have a valid study permit when applying for your work permit
- Have continuously studies full time in Canada and have completed a program that is at least 8 months in duration
- Have obtained written notification from your school that you have met the requirements for graduation
- Apply within 90 days of receiving notice from the school that you have met the requirements for graduation
- Have graduated from a school that is eligible for issuing post graduate work permits. Here is a list of schools that are eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit.
Where can I work? How long is the work permit valid for?
The post graduate work permit can be valid up to 3 years. If your program of study was one year in length, your work permit will also be 1 year. If your study program was 2-3 years in length, the work permit is valid for 3 years.
The PGWP is an open work permit, and are LMIA exempt. This means you can work at any job in any part of the country.