How to Sponsor a Spouse to Canada
Canada is accepting and processing spousal sponsorship applications. Spousal application is one of the least affected by travel restrictions. Spousal, conjugal partner or common-law partner is allowed to relocate to Canada.
What Is Spousal Sponsorship?
The Spousal sponsorship program falls under the family Class Immigration category. Under this program, a permanent resident or Canadian citizen can sponsor a common-law partner or a spouse for Canadian Permanent residence.
Both the sponsor and the sponsored person (foreign national) must be approved by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada in order for the sponsored person to receive a Visa. This necessary condition must be met.
To receive a Visa, both the sponsor and the sponsored person must prove to the immigration officer that their relationship is valid and qualifies under any of these three categories:
- Common-law partner, conjugal partner or Spouse- Same-Sex Couples are eligible to receive spousal sponsorship.
- Inland Sponsorship is when both couples live together in Canada, and the foreign national or spouse has a temporary status either as a visitor, student or worker, and
- Outland Spousal application is pursued when the foreign national or sponsored person is living outside Canada.
Spousal sponsorship is one of the beautiful ways to reunite with your family in Canada. Interestingly, the Canadian government believes in reuniting and keeping families together. This is the main reason why they consider spousal sponsorship a top priority.
As a Canadian family member, you can sponsor your:
- Spouse ( inland, outland, Same-Sex)
- Conjugal partner ( restrictions apply)
- Common-law partner (restrictions apply)
- Dependent children
- Parents (additional conditions apply)
- Grandparents ( additional conditions apply),
- Adopted Children, and
- Other relatives (specific conditions apply).
If you are a Canadian citizen or a legal permanent resident of Canada and you meet all the eligibility criteria, you can sponsor your spouse or common law partner and live permanently in Canada.
Can I Sponsor My Spouse To Canada Without A Job?
To sponsor your spouse, you do not need to have a job. You can be self-employed. You can be unemployed but be supporting yourself through other means like investments or savings.
Even as a fulltime student, you can also sponsor a partner or dependent Child. You can also sponsor if you are on disability or CERB, as it is not considered a social welfare.
How Long Does It Take To Sponsor A Spouse In Canada?
From start to finish, spousal sponsorship applications take a minimum of 12 months or longer depending on the case. For example, if the visa office requires further proof of relationship, it may take longer.
The best way to process your spousal sponsorship application is to ensure that it is done right the first time. Tudor House Immigration Service is the best plug, because we have successfully handled hundreds of spousal sponsorship applications.
What Are The Requirements To Sponsor A Spouse To Canada?
To sponsor your conjugal partner, common- law partner or spouse to Canada, you must submit a complex application with supporting documents specific to your situation. Here are some of the documents and criteria you will be required to fulfill:
- Compulsory Immigration forms from IRCC
- Proof of identity.
- Birth Certificate. You must be at least 18 years.
- You are not incarcerated or charged with a criminal offence.
- You are not bankrupt.
- Proof of relationship or Marriage Certificate.
- Proof of previous relationship.
- Proof of your legal Permanent residence or Canadian Citizenship.
- Police Certificates and clearance from the countries your spouse has lived in for more than Six months.
- Further family information and supporting documents.
- Medical examination of your spouse (submitted after Visa Processing).
- Digital Photo.
- Wedding Invitations and Photos.
- Proof of marriage registration with government authority.
- Proof of payment of government statutory fees, and
- Proof that both of you have lived together for at least 1 year.
To demonstrate your conjugal relationship, the Canadian Immigration will require you to submit at least two of the following documents:
- Shared Bank accounts
- Proof that you and your common- law partner or spouse own property together.
- Copies of government-issued identity
- Utility bills bearing the name of the sponsor and the sponsored person.
- Car insurance.
- Tax forms or pay stubs that indicate that both of you live in the same address.
- Evidence of shared expenses between both of you.
- Proof that your conjugal relationship is recognized by friends and family (social media, emails, letters).
Please be informed that the immigration officer will like to see evidence of interpersonal and significant emotional ties, that will demonstrate that both of you are in a committed, serious relationship with the intention to be knit together for long-term.
How Much Does It Cost To Sponsor A Spouse To Canada?
It costs about CAD $1,050 to sponsor your Spouse, Common- law partner or conjugal partner to Canada. This amount covers only mandatory immigration fees such as:
- Sponsorship fee – CAD $75
- Processing fee – CAD $475, and
- Right of Permanent Residence fee – CAD $500
You should expect to pay for other costs including:
- Services of a Canadian Immigration Professional (It is recommended you work with one, Tudor House Immigration Service remains the best option).
- Postage fees, and
- Other costs related to obtaining supporting documents.
What Is The Minimum Income To Sponsor A Spouse to Canada?
In most cases, you are not expected to have a minimum level of income in order to sponsor a conjugal partner, common- law partner or spouse.
Instead, you will be required to sign an undertaking, certifying that you have the capacity to fulfill the basic financial needs of the person you are sponsoring, for at least a period of three years.
The immigration officer may assess your claims to ensure you have sufficient funds to sponsor. This means that, you may be required to submit proof of funds and/ or how you will support your spouse in Canada.
Within these three years, you must ensure that the person you are sponsoring enjoy the following basic amenities:
- Clothing, food, shelter and daily needs.
- Medical and other health needs that are not covered by public health services.
Why You Need Help!
For your spousal sponsorship application to be successful, all the requirements must be met; even a slightest error can lead to Visa refusal. To take advantage of this opportunity to reunite with your spouse, conjugal partner or common-law partner, you need to seek the help of a professional Canadian Immigration Consultant today. We will help you to prepare your spousal sponsorship application process from start to finish.
Why We Are The Best!
The Canadian Spousal Immigration process is highly detailed, complex and arcane. Interestingly, it is well worth in the end. Because of this state of affairs, it will be superlatively amazing you hire Tudor House Immigration Service to complete your application in a courteous, seamless professional manner.
Our years of experience in helping to reunite families in Canada speak volumes. We know what immigration officers are looking for, when reviewing spousal sponsorship application process.
If you have questions about spousal sponsorship in Canada, feel free to contact our professional Immigration consultants today for a quick free consultation!
We are here for you. We will serve your best interest.
Save your precious time and money by hiring us!
We have successfully helped hundreds of people get Canadian Permanent residence through spousal sponsorship, and we have the capacity to help you too.
Get in touch with us right away, and we will be happy to discuss your eligibility and options!