Step 1

Assess and Apply

Step 2

Study and Work

Step 3

Post Graduate Work Permit

Step 4

Apply for Permanent Residence

Studying in Canada

Getting a Canadian Study Permit

To qualify for a Canadian study permit:

  • You must show proof of acceptance into a designated learning institution in Canada.
  • You must be financially stable. You need to prove that you can pay for your tuition fees and have enough money for other expenses such as food and travel for yourself and any other relative who accompanies you to Canada. You should also have return fare for yourself and any relatives who accompany you to Canada.
  • You must prove to be a law-abiding citizen who poses no security risk to Canada and its people. You may need to bring a certificate of good conduct from the police.
  • You must be healthy and willing to undergo a medical examination if the authorities deem it necessary.
  • You must be able to prove that you will leave the country after your studies are over. In other words, you must show strong ties to your home country.

You must supply the authorities with the following documents for your application to be considered:

  1. Proof of acceptance
  2. Proof of identity
  3. Proof of financial support.
  4. Letter of explanation

Work in Canada after your study program.

It is possible to extend your stay in Canada upon completion of your studies through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). This program allows you to earn work experience and qualify for permanent residence status in Canada through Express Entry.

A work permit in this program is issued for a period of time equal to the length of your study program but it cannot exceed 3 years. The study program should be at least 8 months for you to qualify for a work permit under the PGWPP.

To get a work permit after graduation, you must satisfy the following requirements.

  • You must have enrolled into study program in Canada and studied full-time for a period not less than 8 months.
  • You must complete your study program and graduate from:
  • A public institution of higher learning such as a trade/technical school, a university or college
  • A private institution of higher learning that operates just like the public institutions.
  • A private secondary school or an institution of higher learning offering programs that lead to an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP), or a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP), or
  • A private institution that has been authorized to confer degrees by the provisional statute. In this case you must be enrolled into a program that leads to a degree and not just any other program offered at the institution.
  • All applications must be made within 90 days of receiving confirmation from your institution that you have successfully completed your study program.
  • You must have passed your study program and have been notified that you qualify for a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • When applying for the work permit you must have a valid study permit.