Work in Canada after your study program.
It is possible to extend your stay in Canada upon completion of your studies through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). This program allows you to earn work experience and qualify for permanent residence status in Canada through Express Entry.
A work permit in this program is issued for a period of time equal to the length of your study program but it cannot exceed 3 years. The study program should be at least 8 months for you to qualify for a work permit under the PGWPP.
To get a work permit after graduation, you must satisfy the following requirements.
- You must have enrolled into study program in Canada and studied full-time for a period not less than 8 months.
- You must complete your study program and graduate from:
- A public institution of higher learning such as a trade/technical school, a university or college
- A private institution of higher learning that operates just like the public institutions.
- A private secondary school or an institution of higher learning offering programs that lead to an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP), or a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP), or
- A private institution that has been authorized to confer degrees by the provisional statute. In this case you must be enrolled into a program that leads to a degree and not just any other program offered at the institution.
- All applications must be made within 90 days of receiving confirmation from your institution that you have successfully completed your study program.
- You must have passed your study program and have been notified that you qualify for a degree, diploma or certificate.
- When applying for the work permit you must have a valid study permit.